Saturday, March 10, 2012

I was just talking to my friends about my passion for making playlists. My sister is to blame for sparking this particular hobby in me. When I was in high school and she was in college, we would send each other lavishly decorated mix tapes to keep in touch. I learned so much about great music from those tapes. I still have a few of them in a box somewhere. I was thinking about the process I go through, the hours obsessing. Switching the order of things again... and again until I feel that each song flows into the next with some purpose. And how when I finally finish it and burn cd's to give to friends and family, it is very much like creating an illustration. It is an idea that eats away at me until I create it, finish it and release it into the world. It's like clearing out the files in my head to make room for the new ideas.
I think most creative people feel similarly about the things they make. An idea for a new mix is often sparked by hearing two songs together in my head. Two songs that sound great played one right after the other. Linked by some similarity possibly only I can hear. Two songs that are haunting my brain this week are below. Both from movie soundtracks (seems to be a theme this week!) and both very dark and electronic. See if you like them. Maybe you'll hear them in my next playlist.
'Immigrant Song'- Karen O and Trent Reznor and 'Hearing Damage' -Thom Yorke.

No comments:

Post a Comment